Charter Township is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants
for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related
medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status.
ASSESSING CLERK - FULLTIME.
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for positive first impression on behalf of the Township and the Assessing
Department in receiving and responding to taxpayer/property owner inquires. Processes and enters
various data into computer programs.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives, screens, and routes telephone calls for Assessing Department and acts as backup for the
Township’s general line. Assists walk-in visitors by determining needs, explaining Assessment Department
policies and procedures, initiating necessary paperwork and/or referring to appropriate staff member; also
initiates action and conducts follow-up as necessary.
2. Files property cards and other records as necessary; collects and processes departmental mail as
received; performs variety of other secretarial, clerical and administrative support tasks.
3. Receives and processes Personal Property Statements/Exemption Affidavits; enters in computer and
files when completed.
4. Assists in preparing for March Board of Review; such as scheduling appointments; assisting taxpayers
in preparing their petition as necessary; prepares sale information to assist the Board of Review in
assessment appeals; sends board decision letters to tax payers. Assist in the preparation for the Boards
of Review. Good organizational skills are needed.
5. Processes Principal Residence Exemption Affidavits (PRE) and updates in computer; conducts research
as required; prepares denial notices and reviews with Assessor; sends letters to taxpayers requesting
additional information as necessary; also researches and processes denial received from the State.
6. Processes Property Transfer Affidavits, land splits/combinations, verifies reported sales and assists
with other various projects related to record maintenance.
7. Other projects or duties as assigned by Assessor, which may include field work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. High school diploma required, Associate’s degree or higher preferred;
minimum 1 year of relevant experience in either customer service related
work or where general knowledge of property tax assessment processes was
gained. However, combination of education and experience will be
2. Michigan Certified Assessment Officer (MCAO) is
preferred. MCAT, or no certification may be considered, but some type of
certification must be completed within six months of hire from the State
Tax Commission. 3. Good communication skills to deal effectively with
Township office personnel, taxpayers, realtors, business owners, and
other visitors to the Assessing Department; may occasionally require
dealing with challenging situations.
4. Proficiency with computer to
update residential sales file and sales information received from the
County, and for property splits and combinations; knowledge of
assessment software desirable. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
Suite. Experience with BS&A software a plus.
5. Ability to interpret,
comprehend and process detailed information; ability to organize and
produce work in a timely manner in an environment where interruptions
6. Lifting boxes of offices supplies, records, files,
drawings and other department materials weighing up to 30 pounds to
waist-high level: manual dexterity and ability to work at computer for
The above is intended to describe the general content
of and requirements for the performance of the position. It is not to be
construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or
requirements for the position. 2016 Wage range: $14.31 - $19.46/hr.
A complete job description can be downloaded here
or by emailing your
request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
no later than April 29, 2016.
Our Employment Application Form can be downloaded here.
The Plainfield Fire Department is currently accepting
applications for several open positions.
Click here for their Employment Page.